Best food for road trips, healthy nutritious snacks
Planes, trains and automobiles are the way we all get around in the summertime.
We can't help you with, "are we there yet?" ...but you can certainly distract them with a healthy bento box snack.
If your summer plans include a road trip, be sure to pack your bentos with enough for all to enjoy healthy snacks on the road—and avoid sugary snacks and the blood sugar and mood spikes.
Great Road-Trip Foods for Snacking
- Fruit with pits—they come in their own packages
- Dried fruit, if you'd rather avoid fresh, dried apples are wonderful
- Energy bars—within reason
- Veggies, of course
- Hummus, peanut butter, or almond butter for dipping
- Low-fat cheese—string or cheddar; babies love Parmesan rind for teething
- Trail mix—add dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips if you want to spoil them
- Crackers—mix it up and try a new combination, or stick with their tried-and-true favorite
- Dried veggies, like wasabi peas, snow peas
- Sandwiches that travel well, like turkey, or ham and cheese
Be sure to tote your own water. Water purchased on the fly can be costly, wasteful, and risky, as bottled water is unregulated.
Have a great summer, and safe travels, wherever they take you.
Leave a comment