Everyone talks about detoxing around this time of year. But few of us really know how to do so, in a meaningful way.
Detoxing is about housecleaning for your system. It's about reducing the body's workload, especially for the liver, and some like to do a complete reboot. Fasting devotees can go for days or more, forgoing any food—others do juice cleanses.
If you're into a more long-term effect, cleaning out that system can be done a lot more simply. Simply add a few of these tips into your days and weeks, and eventually you'll make them healthy habits.
Easy, Everyday Detox.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar. First thing in the morning, stir one to two tablespoons of ACV and a spoonful of honey in a glass of hot water and drink. It balances the body's pH level. For more on its benefits, onegreenplanet.org has a good summary. This could ride with the probiotics, but ACV gets its own category.
2. Probiotics: Live cultures, microorganisms that when ingested keep us balanced, too. Work some in every day:
3. Drink Water. The old adage of 8 glasses a day may not be right for everyone, but if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Drinking water helps with mental clarity and controlling calorie intake, it energizes the muscles, and keeps skin looking lovely. And it's essential for helping the body rid itself of toxins.
4. Take liver-enhancing vitamins: A, E, C, and D. These are readily available in food: A, in dark greens and orange; E in alpha-tocopherol form, in vegetable oils and nuts; C, in citrus and other fruits and veggies; and vitamin D, in dairy products and salmon.
5. No refined sugars. That's right, none. No added this or that, other than that naturally occurring in the fruit that you are eating in small quantities. You may feel like hell for the first few days, and after that you'll thank us.
Support these changes to your day-to-day life by eating a healthy diet. Follow our tips on healthy living from our Portion Perfect Coaches.